At Turquoise Health, we are working to make healthcare pricing simpler, more transparent and lower cost for everyone. We've already launched...
At Turquoise Health, we are working to make healthcare pricing simpler, more transparent and lower cost for everyone. We've already launched our consumer-facing website that allows anyone to search and compare hospital insurance rates - something never before possible. But we have a lot more planned. We want to change how the industry works from the inside out.
We are looking for a Python Developer to join our engineering team. You would be the first full-time engineering employee and work directly with the founders. You would report directly to the CTO and have a large impact on the growth and direction of the development team.
We work heavily with the following technologies:
- Python (latest version), Django 3.x, and a wide range of Python libraries
- SQL databases, specifically Postgresql including features like Full Text Search
- Open source web infrastructure components, like memcached and Redis
- Cloud environments, including AWS and Heroku
- Large data sets and data pipelines, including private healthcare data
- A range of machine learning tools, which we use to process and enhance our data
As you would be working for a start-up, your role would be wide-ranging. One day you might be building new features for a website, but the next day you might be building an ML model to help classify data. You would get to work with a wide range for exciting tools to find pragmatic solutions to challenging real-world problems. You would be able to leverage what you already know while having the opportunity to learn new things constantly.
While we are a start-up with a lot of work to do, we also value work-life balance. Our goal is to provide you with a challenging work environment where you are learning new things every day, but where you also maintain normal hours.
Turquoise Health is a fully remote company based in the US. Our founding team is located in California (San Diego) and London. We work with team members and contractors in the US and around the world, but we operate on US business hours and work with clients entirely based in the US.
For this role, the ideal candidate would be based in the US / East Coast time zone, but we would be willing to make an exception for the right candidate. We are generally seeking US-based candidates, but we are willing to consider strong candidates in other countries.
- Development Django-based websites using Python, Postgresql, etc.
- Work with large data sets, including scripting imports, exports, data cleaning, analysis, etc.
- Write effective, scalable code.
- Test and debug programs
- Improve functionality of existing systems
- Implement security and data protection solutions
- Assess and prioritize feature requests
- Coordinate with other team members to understand user requirements and provide technical solutions
- Work experience as a Python Developer, or strong experience in another programming language and some exposure to Python
- Expertise in at least one popular Python web framework (preferably Django) or a similar popular web framework in another language (like Ruby or Rails)
- Good understanding of SQL and how to efficiently use databases to solve problems
- Team spirit
- Ability to work effectively in a remote environment
- Good problem-solving skills
- Good communication skills
- Desire to learn new technologies
- BSc in Computer Science, Engineering or relevant field, or equivalent experience/knowledge. We are happy to work with strong candidates with non-traditional educational backgrounds.
- Experience working on open-source projects
- Experience using with git and GitHub
- Strong writing skills