Founded in 2012 and recently named one of the nation's fastest-growing private businesses by Inc. Magazine, RedShelf is a Chicago-based EdTe...
Founded in 2012 and recently named one of the nation's fastest-growing private businesses by Inc. Magazine, RedShelf is a Chicago-based EdTech company helping to make education both more affordable and more effective through the use of digital instructional resources. Partnering with more than 400 publishers and 1,900 campuses nationwide, we provide leading-edge digital course materials and an end-to-end Content Delivery System for effortlessly distributing those materials.
The Sr Python Engineer is responsible for delivering software that serves as a backbone of integration between RedShelf and its numerous business partners.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Build and enhance functionality critical to the success of the business
- Work as a team to deconstruct and tackle stories
- Take on stories and drive them to completion with little to no oversight
- Advocate for paying down technical debt and use development approaches that minimize the growth of new technical debt
- Coach junior members of your team in software development best practices, architecture, technology and process
- Engage in the Agile Scrum to ensure your team is always experimenting and improving their development and planning practices
- Lead by example
Other Desirable Skills/Experience:
- 5+ years of experience writing server-side Python (scripts / applications):
- Deep knowledge of the Python ecosystem, libraries, norms and tooling
- Experience in deploying and maintaining enterprise-scale python applications in production.
- Proficiency in designing, developing, deploying and scaling Python-based REST APIs
- Experience building software on top of major container technology (Kubernetes, Docker, or similar).
- Strong testing mindset with experience writing tests at various levels of granularity
- Familiarity with Continuous Integration tools (GitHub actions, Travis-CI, AWS Codebuild, etc.)
- A history of good collaboration with Data Engineers, QA Engineers, Release Engineers
- Proven track record working with products from major cloud providers (AWS, GCP, Azure, etc.)
- A minimum of 2 years experience developing with Python, preferably with the Django framework
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Experience/Comfort working with multiple teams across time zones
- Knowledge and appreciation of the advances in higher educational software, course materials, and digital publishing is a plus
- Familiarity with and utilization of and development towards GraphQL and service-oriented architecture and APIs
- Background and/or experience in educational technology and/or publishing
- Comfort and/or experience in a fast-paced, growing environment
- Ideal candidate is self-sufficient and highly motivated, self-directed and possesses high energy and a passion for RedShelf's mission
- Experience developing or interacting with front-end frameworks, like React or Ember, is a plus.
- Experience with infrastructure at scale / scaling infrastructure
- Experience in the EdTech workspace, including, but not limited to, familiarity with the LTI (Learning Tools Interoperability) standard and LMS (Learning Management System) capabilities
RedShelf prides itself on maintaining an informal but fast-moving, hard-working, entrepreneurial culture. Our team members are smart, innovative, and passionate about improving education through digital technology.
We offer the best of both worlds: the energy and opportunity of a rapidly-growing organization, coupled with the stability of an extensive client base, strong financial backing, and proven track record of success. In addition to a forward-thinking environment with ample opportunity for professional and personal growth, our team members enjoy competitive compensation and benefit packages.
RedShelf is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, individuals with a disability, veterans, and others who would enrich the diversity of RedShelf are encouraged to apply.
Powered by JazzHR