We are searching for a Senior Software Developer with Python and C++ to support the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) is ...
We are searching for a Senior Software Developer with Python and C++ to support the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) is part of the National Library of Medicine (NLM) at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in North Bethesda, MD. NCBI is the world's premier biomedical center hosting over six million daily users that seek research, clinical, genetic, and other information that directly impacts biomedical research and public health - at NCBI you can literally help to accelerate cures for diseases! NCBI's wide range of applications, platforms (Node, Python, Django, C++, you name it) and environments (big data [petabytes], machine learning, multiple clouds) serve more users than almost any other US Government Agency according to
This is a full-time position with full benefits. You will start out working remotely until we beat Covid. We are looking for those IT professionals that enjoy having a passion for what they do and want to work for an organization that gives back to the community. That's what a position at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) will give you is an opportunity to contribute to the betterment of America's public health system. Be on the cutting edge as discoveries are made to improve your countries health!
Duties & Responsibilities
The Senior Software Developer will work on solutions to support continued development of SMART, the system used to manage and process submissions to GenBank, an archive of genetic sequence data and annotation and is a part of international collaboration that includes archives in Europe and Japan. GenBank makes biological sequence data available to the research community to support publications, enhance reproducibility, and enable new discoveries.
- Responsible for the development, implementation, testing, and continued maintenance of SMART.
- Work with a diverse group of scientists, bioinformaticians and other developers to improve automation of sequence submission processing and enable more efficient interactions between indexing staff and submitters.
- Replace legacy software with open source.
- Learn new technologies, keep up with the internal systems, and share your knowledge with the team.
- Proficiency in C++
- Proficiency in Python
- 3+ years of experience handling large amounts of data or working in a distributed computing environment
- Programming experience in a Linux environment
- Programming experience in Windows environment
- Experience with relational databases, Microsoft SQL or similar
- Experience with Linux shell scripts (Bash)
- Ability to work with common structured documents (at least one of XML, JSON)
- Experience with workflow management systems, especially with Apache AirFlow
- Experience working with genetic and biological data
- Experience using web services and RESTful APIs
- Experience with Perl scripting language
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines, unit tests, integration and regression testing
- Knowledge of agile software development techniques and practices
We are a trusted government partner that blends deep domain expertise with advanced technologies to help our customers solve complex problems that improve, protect, and save lives. As a rapidly growing company, we combine entrepreneurial spirit, customer focus, and an outcomes-based approach to support agency missions in health IT, life sciences, public safety, and grants management.
The Dovel Family of Companies offers employees an opportunity to advance beyond a specific role or contract, we offer a path to develop an enriching career. We believe in empowering a culture of innovation, customer success, and employee growth.
What you'll get…
- Time Off! Flexible schedules and company paid holidays allow you to take the time you need.
- Investment in YOU! 401(K) company contributions are yours to keep with no waiting period.
- Choices! Unique healthcare plans to choose from with options like fertility and orthodontia benefits.
- Discovery! With our tuition assistance and training programs, we support your career advancement.
- Tax Savings! Enroll in pre-tax Health or Dependent Care Flexible Spending, HSA with company contributions, parking, and/or transit commuter benefits.
- Support! Working parents and busy professionals - we've got you covered with a supportive culture, confidential Employee Assistance Program, and membership to Care.com.
- Perks! Employee discounts, peer recognition programs, company-wide wellness challenges, and fun community events.
- A Voice! A unique culture where you can influence decisions and have your voice heard.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.