Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we...
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
The Enterprise Tools team within Travelers Corporate Functions Value Stream has an exciting opportunity for a Software Engineer to join our talented team! We are looking for a passionate engineer with professional knowledge in Python or other scripting languages who enjoys learning and helping others grow.
Enterprise Tools applications span multiple business unit owners, including the critical sunset of one system.
Future opportunities including cross-training to support other systems that the larger Agile circle/train is responsible for could be available.
If you can pride yourself as a quick learner, comfortable with ambiguity, have a passion for analyzing and relating data, and enjoy working in a fast-paced agile environment this could be the role for you!
We are seeking a Software Engineer I to join our organization as we grow and transform our Technology landscape.
The individual hired will complete intermediate end to end engineering tasks for specific system assignments including developing, analyzing, configuring, testing, debugging, troubleshooting, documenting, health monitoring/alerting, and implementing based on user or system design specifications, as well as participating in troubleshooting, conducting impact analysis and escalating appropriately.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Perform analysis, design, development, and configuration functions as well as define technical requirements for assignments of intermediate complexity.
- Participate with team to perform analysis, assessment and resolution for defects and incidents of intermediate complexity and escalate appropriately.
- Work within guidelines set by team to independently tackle well-scoped problems.
- Seek opportunities to expand technical knowledge and capabilities.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor's degree or its equivalent in work experience.
- One year of programming/development experience.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Three years of programming/development experience preferred
- Experience with scripting and building distributed interfaces and batch processes, preferably with Python
- Experience with structured databases, preferably with SQL
- Experience with data analytics and reporting: reading/navigating data models, metamodel management, connecting data to new relationships, designing and building reports, preferably with Qlik or MicroStrategy (Cognos less preferred) Soft Skills we are seeking:
- Works well in remote work environment (i.e. not being co-located with manager or team members)
- Highly effective communication skills
- Continuous improvement mindset
- Planning and organizational skills
- Team player
Position Specific Details
- Delivery - Intermediate delivery skills including the ability to deliver work at a steady, predictable pace to achieve commitments, decompose work assignments into small batch releases and contribute to tradeoff and negotiation discussions.
- Domain Expertise - Demonstrated track record of domain expertise including the ability to understand technical concepts necessary to do the job effectively, demonstrate willingness, cooperation, and concern for business issues and possess in-depth knowledge of immediate systems worked on.
- Problem Solving - Proven problem solving skills including debugging skills, allowing you to determine source of issues in unfamiliar code or systems and the ability to recognize and solve repetitive problems rather than working around them, recognize mistakes using them as learning opportunities and break down large problems into smaller, more manageable ones.
- Communication - Strong communication skills with the ability to clearly and concisely interact with team members, document work in a clear, easy to follow manner, collaborate well with team members, take in well- scoped requirements and ask the right questions to ensure clarification, seek out and receive constructive criticism well and listen when others are speaking.
- Leadership - Intermediate leadership skills with a proven track record of self-motivation in identifying personal growth opportunities.
Using Agile methodologies and practices, you will p erform analysis, design, development, testing, and release functions for custom Python processes that integrate with Travelers data housed in several Enterprise Tools third-party systems , as well as define technical requirements for assignments of intermediate complexity. You will also provide administration, configuration, and support to the third-party systems and other software products used across the enterprise. You will participate with team to perform analysis, assessment and resolution for defects and incidents and escalate appropriately.
This position requires collaboration across the enterprise to interview users and stakeholder for their needs and requirements in order to design, plan, build, and execute some pieces of work.Employment Practices
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting. - provided by Dice